Gather@Grand Seminar: Engaging White Privilege—Courage and Skills Addressing White Racism
Since 2020 the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael have been offering a special Gather@Grand program providing opportunities to explore systemic racism. We hope you will consider joining us this spring for a 2-day seminar: Engaging White Privilege—Courage and Skills Addressing White Racism.
This in-person, highly interactive, seven-hour event focuses on two aspects of exploring and confronting societal racism in the United States:
- Recognizing the ubiquitous nature of institutional and structural racism. Every system from education to health care to law enforcement is rife with inherent disparities and injustices based on race.
- Learning tools and techniques to address the internal discomfort and the difficulties talking about race.
These tools are surprisingly simple, easy to learn, and profoundly powerful for mitigating stress and anxiety, allowing us to show up for anti-racism as well as other challenges, bringing our courage and best judgment. These tools facilitate access to our best wisdom, experience, and intuition in the moment (i.e. in real-time).
The presenters/ facilitators are Jennae Wallach, Peace Educator and Public Health Consultant and Alanya Snyder, Educator and Anti-racism Organizer.
The workshop will be held in the afternoon on the weekend of March 12-13 from 1:30 to 5:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday. The arrival time is 1:15 pm on both days. Please register only if you can attend on both days for the full seven (7) hours of the course.
Please Note: Class size is limited.
IMPORTANT NOTE – COVID-19 Precautions:
This is the first in-person workshop the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael have scheduled since shelter-in-place started in March 2020. The Sisters and the trainers wish to meet at the Gather@Grand Gathering Space and absolutely want to protect the health of everyone involved. Please note and follow the precautions outlined below:
- All participants are asked to be masked throughout the training hours in the training room, the hallways, and the restrooms. There will be scheduled breaks to step outdoors, remove your masks, have snacks, etc. Please bring your own snacks.
- Participants are asked to bring proof of vaccination and boosters to present when they first arrive on Saturday. Participants are encouraged to self-test if possible. If you suspect you have been exposed to COVID or are experiencing COVID symptoms, please let Sister Barbara know that you will not be attending.
- Dress warmly. The doors of the training room will be kept open to facilitate ventilation, the heat will be turned on to keep the space at a comfortable temperature, and an air filter will be placed around the room.
- The trainers will self-test for COVID in the days immediately prior to the weekend and on both days of the workshop so that they can teach without masks and stand near each other. They will mask when talking to participants one-on-one.
- If there is a surge in COVID, the workshop will be shifted to an online forum via Zoom. If that scenario occurs, participants will be notified of the change via email by March 10, 2022.
Thank you, in advance, for working with us, being flexible, and honoring everyone’s safety. We are very excited to provide this course and learn together.
Read more about our Gather@Grand program here.